This page will remain available for a few more weeks, but it will no longer be updated, click here to go to the latest version.
This little Airacobra kit already looks good straight from the box, so I made very little changes to the kit.
The most significant modification was shortening the main landing gear and packing the nose with lead, to give the model the typical nose-up stance of the real P-39.
I added some detail by carefully drilling holes in the gun ports and muzzles and adding a pitot tube out of metal wire.
I used the decals that came with the kit.
Date finished: August 6, 1984.
This kit yields a rather simplified rendition of a Stuka, I changed and detailed some things, but left the wing with its incorrect anhedral and dihedral as it was.
Some years earlier I built the magnificent 1/24 scale Airfix Stuka, so for fun I opened the canopy and engine cover of this little Revell kit, added some details from scratch and finished the model in the same paint scheme as the 1/24 scale model.
Scratch built details include:
Most of the markings were painted by hand.
The model has deteriorated a bit over the years: the aerial mast is due for replacement and the port wing tip developed a weird bend.
Date finished: March 2, 1979.
The Mitsuwa Ju-87B kit has a couple of shape problems, the most significant ones are
its rearward sloping canopy and the long fat nose. These are both features found on
later Stuka models (Ju-87D and onwards) but not on any Ju-87B's. However the chin
radiator is a large 'B' type one. So I decided to do some surgery and turn this little
bastard (I mean that in the literal sense of the word) into a true late model Stuka.
As the differences between a 'B' and a 'D' model aren't that easily noticed on a
1/144 model I opted for the spectacular 'G' tankbuster variant.
For a 'G' make these additional modifications:
Date finished: December 31, 1981.