Hasegawa 1/72 F-16N 'Adversary'

Introduction

F-16N, low angle shot (16.2KB) In 1987 the US Navy bought 26 F-16N for use as adversaries in Dissimilar Air Combat Training (DACT). The F-16N is basically a stripped down F-16C, lacking the cannon and any defensive electronics and fitted with the GE F110 engine.
The F-16N was highly succesful in its Adversary role, but problems with wing attachment fatigue due to heavy use and with the costs of spare parts meant that by 1995 all F-16N were placed in storage or sold.


F-16N, frontal high angle shot (20.3KB) There are two kits of the F-16N available at 1/72nd scale, one made by Fujimi (cat. nr. E-6), the other by Hasegawa (cat. nr. 718). I had both kits, the Fujimi kit contains parts for doing either a single- or a dual-seater and a very comprehensive decal sheet, but the shape of the fuselage and canopies looked a bit suspect to me. The Hasegawa F-16N kit is basically the same kit as the F-16A Plus/B Plus/C and D kits and contains decals for two aircraft, one NFWS aircraft and one in the Initial Delivery Ceremony livery. I was already familiar with the strengths and weaknesses of the Hasegawa F-16 kits so I decided to build the Hasegawa kit and ended up selling the Fujimi kit.

Construction

The Hasegawa F-16 kits are very accurate and straightforward to build. I wanted to have this kit finished for a show, so I did not add much details and ended up building the kit almost straight from the instruction sheet. It does pay however to deviate from the Hasegawa instructions a couple of times:

F-16N detail: gap in speedbrake (6.8KB)



Small Details

F-16N detail: pitot tube (6.1KB)
  • I made a replacement pitot tube from a cloth pin and built up the wider area by repeatedly dipping the rear of the pin in white (PVA) glue. I attached the pin firmly to the nose cone with super glue.
F-16N detail: AOA probes (7.4KB)
  • the pointy tips of two more cloth pins were used to replace the AOA probes on both sides of the radome.
F-16N detail: TACTS pod (2.5KB)
  • I cut up a spare AIM-9 Sidewinder and turned it into a TACTS (ACMI) pod, the probe on the TACTS pod was again made from a cloth pin. Nowadays you can find a nice ACMI pod in various weapon sets, such as Hasegawa X72-009 "Aircraft weapons V: US Missiles and launchers", but back when I built this F-16N model, these sets were not yet available.
  • I added covers over the rear fuselage lights from thin clear plastic foil (cut from the window of an enveloppe, but a small circle of clear decal sheet should also work).

I used the Hasegawa seat but added some details to it:
  • extraction chute pack on top of the headrest
  • pitots on arms on either side of the headrest
  • seatbelts and buckles
  • various cables on either side of the seatback
  • flight data recorder box and oxygen bottle on left side of the seat
  • ejection handle in the center of the seat
  • launch tube cover with holes in the back
  • added strips of plasticard to the rear of the launch rails and cut a groove on the insides of the rails to make an 'h' shaped cross section
F-16N, cockpit area (24.9KB)
F-16N, cockpit area (24.0KB)

In fact the seat turned out so nice that I fitted it to the tub with white (PVA) glue so I can remove it and fit it into another F-16 kit later (in case I finish an F-16 model that turns out better than this one).


Painting and Decals

F-16N, birds eye view (22.9KB) I decided to use the kit decals for the Initial Delivery Ceremony, I later read that the aircraft painted for this ceremony was actually a repainted Air Force C fitted with an F100 engine, so my models F110 engine exhaust nozzle is the wrong type for this paint scheme, oh well...
I masked the cockpit area and intake and temporarily glued the wheel bay doors shut with white (PVA) glue. Then I sprayed the camo scheme using some trusty old Humbrol Authentic Colour paint. Note that the fuselage sides from the flaperon hinge line to the speed brake hinge line are finished in FS.36231 chafe resistant paint.
After spraying the camo scheme, I sprayed the entire model with Talens Rembrandt Acrylic Gloss Varnish Nr. 3 and applied the decals.
When applying the decals I put drops of the same Talens varnish under each decal to help them seat and to prevent silvering. This usually works like a mild version of the various decal setting solutions, but unfortunately this time some decals started wrinkling a bit when I sprayed on the acrylic flat coat. The end result was a nice flat finish with some silvering visible around the walkway lines and 'NAVY' decals.
The exhaust nozzle was painted with Humbrol Metal Cote 'Polished Steel', I buffed the petals but left the recesses untouched.


Date finished: August 30, 1992.

Paints used
wrap-around camoFS.35237 Blue greyHumbrol Authentic HU.19
wrap-around camoFS.36251 GreyHumbrol Authentic HU.20
wrap-around camoFS.36307 GreyHumbrol Authentic HU.21
anti-chafe tail leading edgesFS.36231 greyHumbrol Authentic HU.25
nose radome--Humbrol Authentic HU.20 with Talens gloss varnish
tires and cockpit coaming--Humbrol 32 Matt Dark Grey
canopy tint--mixture of Tamiya Acrylics X19 Smoke, X24 Clear Yellow and X22 Clear
overall clear coat--Talens Rembrandt Acrylic Gloss Varnish Nr. 3
overall flat coat--Pactra Acrylic A48 Flat Clear
accentuated recesses--black (indian) ink

References


Back
back to Erix7 home page Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional